[OM] tilt/swing macro with OM

Subject: [OM] tilt/swing macro with OM
From: "Dean C. Hansen" <hanse112@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 May 2005 23:37:03 -0700
Hello OMers,
    Back on 7 March I asked if anyone had used an Olympus camera on a
Mamiya 645 bellows, which can tilt, shift, and swing.  Piers and Warren
offered some suggestions, noting that Novoflex makes a View Camera
Converter.  I let the idea rest for a bit, but I recently picked up the
Mamiya bellows and the Mamiya 80mm f4 macro lens (both "bargains" from
KEH).
    The problem was how to mount the OM camera onto the bellow's rear
standard.  I removed the Mamiya camera mount from the rear standard, dug
through the junk drawer of my desk, and picked out a 14mm manual OM
extension ring.  It almost fit into the hole in the Mamiya's rear
standard, so tonight I spent a half hour at a friend's wood lathe and
removed several hundredths of an inch from the ridged portion of the
extension ring.  That was it!  The shaved-down extension ring now slips
tightly into the rear standard, and my OM4T is now securely mounted onto
the rear standard of that bellows.  I still can't believe that the
solution to mounting the camera was so astonishingly simple!
    With no extension, the set-up yields a maximum field of view of
about 3 3/8" X 5", 12" from the front of the lens.  At maximum extension
of the bellows, the field of view is 12 X 18mm, or 2:1 magnification.
    Tomorrow I'll do some test shots.  I'm really interested in seeing
just what I can get with the 15 degree tilt (up or down) and 15 degree
swing with this bellows.  I'll keep you posted.  If successful, this
could really help me with photographing butterflies.
Dean