[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 06:53:05 -0500
At 05:11 PM 5/9/2005 -0700, you wrote:
>Since I am certainly never going to choose to have a color darkroom, my
>personal tests are for use with a digital darkroom and digital printer.
>I'm not satisfied I have given film scanning it's best shot yet, but I
>think my overall approach is reasonable for my chosen presentation media.
>
>Moose

I liked your tests quite a bit, Moose.  I don't really know what to make of
them.  I see things I like in both media.  Some of them Ag Schnozz has
already summarized better than I could have (I hate it when he does that),
but I do like how digital greens are rendered, for some reason.  I like
textures in film.

One apparent difference in taste between us is that I apparently like a
little noise.  I have literally never used NR software on any E-1
photograph that I have printed of any size (I can print up to 11 x 14 on my
Photo EX).  That's not extraordinarily large and I also rarely shoot even
at ISO 400, let alone 800 or 1600.  I have used some NR on some web images
and some grossly underexposed but otherwise important family photographs
that my wife has made with her Stylus 410.  Acts of desperation, really.

I have seen some NR that makes the output look like a color by numbers
painting.  Your enlarged digital versions look at bit like that to me.  But
at normal sizes they look great, which I think is where it counts.

Thanks again for the comparisons.

Joel W.