[OM] Re: Resolution cameras are able to deliver

Subject: [OM] Re: Resolution cameras are able to deliver
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:28:13 -0700
You really can't make that jump. There are lots of things that prevent
it. Just one example is digital noise. One of the criticisms of the
Kodak SLR/N and SLR/C is the noise. The reason for the noise is that
they have chosen a wide dynamic range curve for the camera and you find
noise lurking in all the shadows. Most other makers use a curve that
covers the noise with shadow reducing the dynamic range. Noise
reduction can lower the noise floor a bit and extend the dynamic range.
Thom Hogan did a careful comparison of various DSLRs that took Nikon
lenses in his subscription journal and found they ranged from about 7
stops to 8 1/2 stops with the widest being the Kodak.

Interestingly the new Photoshop CS2 makes the merging of varying
exposures of the same scene much easier, almost automatic with a tool
called HDR Merge. Reichmann discusses it on his site. Ideally you
bracket exposure with a number of shots and open them in HDR Merge and
then it does the job quickly without help from you. Looks very cool.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA