[OM] Re: eSIF availability

Subject: [OM] Re: eSIF availability
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 08:57:52 -0700
It's not just your eyes. Neither the split image nor standard microprisms
work beyond about f6.

I experimented with quite a few screens. The 1-8 and 2-4 seemed to be nearly
equal and definitely better than the 1-4. The 1-8 is useless with a wide
angle lens. Everything seems to be in focus. I tried the 1-7 but wasn't able
to focus it as well as the 1-8. It seemed to fall between the 1-8 and 1-4.
I've since got a better 1-7 but haven't repeated the test. My first 1-7 had
several scratches and I wondered if the microprisms were damaged. If you've
got the time to use it, I would recommend using the varimagni finder along
with a well matched screen (1-8,2-4,1-7?). But IIRC there is a list member
who posted some shots using the 500/8 handheld ... my hat's off to him.

More of an FYI than an alternative to the Zuiko. Celestron has/had a 750mm
f6 that can be focused using the split image center of a 1-13 screen. The
lens is light but is much bigger than the Zuiko. They also often have a haze
on the front element. I'm not sure how hard it is to clean (yet). I'm quite
happy with it even with the haze. They normally sell a little under $200 on
yaBe.

-jeff