[OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II

Subject: [OM] Re: My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 16:05:44 -0500
Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Joel Wilcox wrote:
> > Some of them Ag Schnozz has already summarized better
> than
> > I could have (I hate it when he does that),
>
> It's an Iowa thing.

Like I said.

> > but I do like how digital greens are rendered, for
> some
> > reason.
>
> Whereas I'm the opposite. I'm really struggling to get
> the
> greens the way I like them.  There is no substitute for
> Velvia.
> The only way I've been able to get the greens to land
> right is
> to dial out some blue-channel gamma, but that ends up
> skewing
> everything else.

Surely Gimp gives you some sort of 1:1 color replacement?
I think Photoshop does, but I've never explored it much.
Doesn't seem like a "fine art" kind of activity.

I do know what you mean though.  I just think greens get
slung all over the palette with various films.  I guess
that's why people have favorite films.  My particular
feeling of disappointment is with Kodachrome's black pine
trees against the snow -- though that's lack of dynamic
range rather than color palette.

Perhaps Fred Miranda's Velvia plug-in is available for
Gimp?  (doubt it)

> > One apparent difference in taste between us is that I
> > apparently like a little noise.  I have literally never
> used
> > NR software on any E-1 photograph that I have printed
> of any >
> size (I can print up to 11 x 14 on my Photo EX).
>
> I wish I could say the same thing.  For web-display, I
> may whack
> some noise out. For portraiture prints I'm leaving things
> alone.
>  Anything ISO 400 and above does 'usually' benefit from
> some
> noise-reduction.
>
> AG

I'll take your word for that. :)