[OM] Re: Obituary

Subject: [OM] Re: Obituary
From: "Dean Tyler" <dtyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:34:05 -0400
Boris wrote:
>I left my camera unattended for just a second, some wind gust came and I
heard what sounded like a camera hitting a >.rock...turned around and it was
true...
>The camera had fallen on its lens...Life is over.  My Sigma 24-70 I always
bragged about is gone.

Boris, I can't believe it.  I just saw your equipment on Saturday and now
this.  Having dropped a lens last year I feel your pain.  I liked the Sigma,
24 wide, 55mm ring and I have no doubt is was a sharp lens.

>I guess I am a prime candidate for digital, but can't make up my mind.  I
was excited about the EVOLT, but it seems that the >8080 Wideangle takes
better pix according to dpreview.  I held it once and it did not feel right
at all.  Thought about the >E-1, but have to see, the 4/3 viewfinder shape
looked a little strange at first and in addition,

Well, after our meeting and learning your shooting style the 8080 might not
be a bad option.  Here is what I think I know about your photography:  you
like landscape photography, a good viewfinder is important, you are most
concerned with composition and spend less time metering and image quality is
important.  If you are thinking digital there are a lot of choices, so the
viewfinder options would narrow the list down.  Can you live with an using a
LCD panel or EVF?  If so, the 8080 may be the choice.  I don't think you can
good wrong with the e-1 or other dslr.

>it won't look good on my resume if wife reads that in one year I managed to
buy a house, furniture and an expensive camera.

I did this 2 years ago and I am just recovering now.  On a limited budget, I
would recommend an OM-2sp and 21mm f2.5 or 24mm f2.8.  The OM-2sp has a nice
viewfinder and I think you would like the spot metering for your
photography.  I know you like to shoot at dawn and dust and a spot meter
really shines at these times.  Having a camera with a meter would be a plus
:^).

I bet someone on the list could give you a good deal on one.  In fact, you
could buy a bargain OM-2sp and 24mm f2.8 at KEH (bargain) for under $250.  I
don't think digital could compare at that price.  Heck you already have a
long zoom and a 50mm for OM.

Hopefully, one of the Belgium ales numbed the pain.

My condolences,

Dean

http://mail.yahoo.com

List usage info:     http://www.zuikoholic.com