[OM] Re: Scanner technique

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner technique
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 23:42:33 -0400

Dan Mitchell wrote:

>   Does anyone have any tips on how to get photos to stay still on a
> flatbed scanner? I always have a heck of a time with it -- I put the
> photo down nice and straight, but no matter how carefully I then close
> the lid it always seems to get knocked crooked, which means I have to
> take the time to straighten it out later on.
>
>   What am I doing wrong? Is there some way to get around this?

Try putting something heavy on it.  Got a piece of 4x4" ceramic tile?
It doesn't matter if the lid doesn't completely close.

>   And while I'm asking, what do people use to clean dust and such off
> the glass -- is it just a matter of a lint-free lens cloth, or is there
> a better approach?

I use a Swiffer duster which you can buy at the supermarket or
drugstore.  You can just buy the refills since, for this application,
you don't really need the plastic handles.  I also cut them up into
several pieces and put the pieces in a resealable plastic bag.  I use a
small piece to dust film before it goes in the scanner.  Dust sticks to
them like a magnet.  Hide them from your wife.  If she finds out about
them yours will disappear.

Chuck Norcutt