[OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 1800 - B&W quality?
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 09:19:47 -0700 (PDT)
BBB wrote:
> That said, given the quality of the output in my color work,
> and the quality of my initial b&w prints, I'd absolutely plan
> to scan negs and print digitally before I'd set up a darkroom.

If you've got EVERYTHING, go ahead and setup the darkroom. But
if you have to buy anything other than supplies I'd put the
money instead into upgrading the digital output.

Personally, I love using the darkroom.  The B&W final output is
anything but digital. I'm noticing a distinct look in digital
B&W these days which is getting a little disturbing.  It's too
"perfect".  Not necessarily in paper/ink, but in the photograph
itself. The grain is usually removed, everything is too smooth,
everything is too "LOUD". Digital B&W lacks some of the
subtleties of an entire analog workflow.  The term I would use
is "overprocessed".  It's the imperfections that give analog B&W
such character.

As an example of some of the costs of a darkroom, I just
recently purchased a new 4-blade easel.  $200 it cost me.  The
amount of money I've poured into the darkroom in the past three
years would have bought a pretty nice digital outfit.

If you settle in on a hybrid analog-digital workflow, I suggest
utilizing C41 chromogenic films that scan better than
traditional silver films.  Ilford XP2 is probably the best of
both worlds films right now.  And around these parts is dirt
cheap and I can get them processed at wallyworld for $1 per roll
in an hour.  I shoot Delta 400 and other silver films because I
can.

AG

Discover Yahoo!
http://discover.yahoo.com/mobile.html