[OM] Re: Photos for your critique

Subject: [OM] Re: Photos for your critique
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:42:04 -0500
At 04:29 AM 5/13/2005, you wrote:
>For John,
>
>nice shot and I noticed this was shot with kodachrome 64, can you tell
>me how you got it to the web, i.e how you scanned it, i.e with which
>scanner or if it was scanned from a print etc.  Then maybe I could share
>some of my photos
>
>thanks

For web use I have the slides scanned by a pro lab at 2000 dpi . . . more
than  sufficient to downsize to 640x480 or 800x600 for monitor display . .
. provided it's not being severely cropped.  I don't know what scanner they
use for it, but it is a dedicated film scanner, and it has served my web
use needs.  It costs a couple dollars per scan.  I do my own setting of
highlight and shadow points (contrast adjustment), color balancing,
sharpening and downsizing from the TIFF files they deliver on CD (or DVD
now).  Some of my oldest ones are similar resolution Kodak Photo CD's
(different from a low-res "Picture CD").

If I were selling large prints in quantity "on demand" as orders are
placed, I'd have an super-duper resolution Imacon Flextight scan done of
the film at 8000 dpi.  (The onsey-twosey large prints I typically have made
are printed directly from the film.)

-- John Lind