[OM] Re: Photos for your critique

Subject: [OM] Re: Photos for your critique
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 19:14:40 -0500
I mentioned background control and subject area cleanup.  Here are some
examples:

Two shot in the field . . . both of which used a point of view and a little
"site cleanup" getting objects around them out of the depth of field . . .
to achieve a distant background that would be well blurred.  Had to work
quickly with the "Pennsylvania Soldier" photograph and you can see it
should be cropped a tad tighter to eliminate the lower left corner (just
noticed this . . . hmmmm).  The list server may wrap these long URL's . . .
so you might have to paste them back together again.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=5871&catID=&style=&rowNumber=21&memberID=322

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=895720&catID=&style=&rowNumber=3&memberID=322

The Penn'a Soldier photograph also has a tad harsh bokeh . . . a
combination of the tangled background with lots of pinpoint or sharp edge
highlights and lens used . . . would have used the 85/2 with extension
tubes if I'd had them with me . . . had to grab it with the 35-105/3.5~4.5
using the "Close-Up" ring (was there for a funeral and took very minimalist
bag) . . . and its bokeh with simpler backgrounds that don't have the kinds
of highlights found in that photo is much better.

For several examples of extreme background separation, these three were
deliberately done against a deep black backdrop well behind the
subject.  Lighting was set up to keep it off the backdrop . . . so it would
go pure black (aka Zone 0).  Some don't like this level of extreme subject
isolation and simplicity . . . and some do . . . it's a matter of taste.

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=895718&catID=&style=&rowNumber=5&memberID=322

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=895717&catID=&style=&rowNumber=6&memberID=322

http://www.betterphoto.com/gallery/big.asp?photoID=14009&catID=&style=&rowNumber=18&memberID=322

-- John Lind