[OM] Re: Sunpak 433D Flash Problems

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpak 433D Flash Problems
From: "Curtis P. Hedman" <Curtis.P.Hedman-1@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:41:06 -0500
At 5/15/05 03:57 AM, you wrote:
>From: "Bob Docherty" <lostkase@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Sunpak 433D Flash Problems
>Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 21:29:37 -0400
>

>I've searched the archives but haven't come up with a solution. I just
>received a Sunpak 433D from the *bay. I put it on my OM-2S, OM-4T and got no
>flash ready light. While moving it around on the OM-2s, I noticed it was a
>little loose in the shoe and the light came on intermittently. If I press
>down on the flash I get a ready light but it goes off when pressure is
>released.Is this a known problem? My T32 comes up with no problem on either
>camera.I was hoping for some enlightenment!!!
>
>Bob

I have two OM version 433D's, and both of them sometimes exhibit a little
bit of "poor contact", particularly when using the OM in "vertical" mode
where the shoe of the flash is under maximum torque due to gravity! I
usually just have to re-tighten the locking wheel and the problem goes
away. I did have my first 433D repaired by TOCAD - the ttl function did not
work, and for $31 they did something called a "Foot repair" that resulted
in a fully functional flash. I have found that the intermittent connection
problem seems to happen more on my OM-2S than on either an OM-4T or an
OM-PC, which makes little sense at the hot shoe design seems very nearly
the same on these three models.

A thought - have you cleaned the contacts on the flash? Could be as simple
as that...

Anyway, the 433D is a great flash for the OM... hope you can get it working
reliably!

Curt