[OM] Re: Sunpak 433D Flash Problems

Subject: [OM] Re: Sunpak 433D Flash Problems
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:49:17 -0700
Bob Docherty wrote:

>I've searched the archives but haven't come up with a solution. I just
>received a Sunpak 433D from the *bay. I put it on my OM-2S, OM-4T and got no
>flash ready light. While moving it around on the OM-2s, I noticed it was a
>little loose in the shoe and the light came on intermittently. If I press
>down on the flash I get a ready light but it goes off when pressure is
>released.Is this a known problem? My T32 comes up with no problem on either
>camera.I was hoping for some enlightenment!!!

First step, before worrying about anything else, is cleaning the
contacts on the bottom of the flash and in the shoes. Leave all logic
aside for the moment and just do it. There is clearly a poor contact and
the odds of it being in the contacts are very high. Cameras too!
Remember that putting the T32 on and off cleans only part of the shoe
contacts, which may not be the parts the 433D contacts touch.

Second, my related SunPak grips the shoe very firmly when  the wheel is
tightened. Pushing down on it would not have any effect on the shoe
contacts. Check that yours is pressing down on the top of the shoe and
holding the flash nice and square/level in the shoe.

Notice that that tightening the shoe actually pulls the contacts AWAY
from the contacts in the shoe. Be sure the contacts on the bottom of the
flash are all nicely spring loaded. That spring pressure is what assures
contact once corrosion, dirt, etc. aren't in the way. When the contacts
are pushed in, there should be good resistance, they should snap back
when released and they should all be the same length. Dirt, guck,
whatever, can get in and reduce their effectivness.

If all that doesn't work, considering that the 433D does the same thing
on two bodies and that a T32 works on both bodies, there is then a poor
connection in the flash shoe itself and it should be returned.

Good Luck

Moose