[OM] Re: hypothetical lens choice query

Subject: [OM] Re: hypothetical lens choice query
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:21:09 -0400
Don't forget that cropping involves the film and scan resolution as well
as the lens contribution.  As good as the Zuiko 35-80 is reputed to be,
a severely cropped 80mm image from it could never match the final print
quality of a full frame 75-150 image shot at 150mm.  At 80mm the cropped
area from the 35-80 image is little more than 1/4 the size of the 150mm
image.  This would be expecting the 35-80, film and scanner combo to
produce double the resolution of the 70-150.  It would be like expecting
a 16x20 to look as sharp and crisp as an 8x10.  Won't happen.

Assuming you do not have unlimited funds, better you should spend your
money on a greater range of good quality but less expensive lenses than
putting all your eggs in one very expensive basket.  If a stable of good
Zuikos is too expensive there's lots of very good, inexpensive stuff out
there from the likes of Tamron, Kiron and others.

Chuck Norcutt