[OM] Re: ISO and digital cameras - and also panorama mode

Subject: [OM] Re: ISO and digital cameras - and also panorama mode
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:15:26 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Firstly: What is the effect in the image of varying the ISO setting?
>
>I've heard about the increasing "noise" at higher ISO.
>
>Is there an effect on image definition as there usually is with film?

Here is a test I did soon after buyng the 300D. The effect will be
generally similar with any digital, although each has its own
characteristics. The tests on dpreview.com provide a useful giude to
differences between cameras. The E-1 is noisier than these samples form
400 iso on up.

I seem to recall that you are on a slow connection, so be aware the file
is about 1.2mb. I don't know how to show the detail in a small file.

Moose

>(Clearly I have not downloaded the first contents of the CF card yet)
>
>Secondly, over the weekend a neighbour showed me his N*k*n P&S camera
>which has a built-in panorama facility. You can take even a whole 360 degree
>set of pictures, and so long as each adjoining shot overlaps, the in-camera
>software stitches all shots together, and saves the combined image as well
>as all component shots, in one folder on the card.

You can do that with any camera, directly with digital images, for film,
with scanned images. Several examples and references to software to
assist ahve been posted here. What some P&S cameras add is a was to see
a translucent part of each previous image superimposed on the LCD to
asist in orienting and matching the images. Mine also locks the exposure.

Moose