[OM] Re: What is wrong here? [was My personal Film vs. Digital tests -

Subject: [OM] Re: What is wrong here? [was My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 22:30:50 -0700
Chris Barker wrote:

>I did not follow past the initial comparisons so I did not spot this
>gem of a place.  It looks as if it could have been built for the
>"Lord of the Rings",

I hadn't thought of it, but it could work for that.

>but I should guess that it belongs in a park for purposes of meditation.  It
>is beautiful, especially as it looks a little fragile, a little transient
>perhaps.

Not in the least fragile or, one hopes, transient.

>I give up: what is it, and where is it?

It is a roadside chapel in a place called The Sea Ranch on the coast of
Sonoma County in No. California. A bit over 19 years old, it was a gift
from two Sea Ranch residents and is administered by a foundation.

The architect and designer, James Hubbell, designed and built the
windows, doors, chandelier, the screen and kneeling cushion of the prie
dieu, the sea shells set in ceiling plaster and stone masonry and the
exterior fountain. Gary's magazine rcollection may be of the AIA
Journal, and Hubbell received a Special Award for Excellence in
Craftmanship for 30 years work with special emphasis on The Sea Ranch
Chapel.

It is quite a magical little building where I've stopped a number of
times over the years. Mostly, I've used it for its intended purpose,
meditation and comtemplation, although I took a few pics with an XA
years ago.

The Sea Ranch is an interesting and often controversial housing
development occupying a nice stretch of the coast
<http://www.searanchvillage.com/default.html>. Fortunately, much of the
rest of the Sonoma County coast is County park and open to the public.
The area is not in the least bit scenic
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/SonMen01.htm>.

Moose