[OM] Re: What to take? lots of questions

Subject: [OM] Re: What to take? lots of questions
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 02:26:16 -0500
 At 04:02 PM 5/16/2005, Michael R. Collins wrote:
To save you sifting through the archives... the classic advice from
John Lind is at:

http://lists.tako.de/html/Olympus-OM/2002-08/msg01371.html[1]

Michael
Gee Michael, thanks . . . you beat me to it.

My advice to a father of a bride is to take the camera, but don't expect to
use it much and put the #1 priority squarely on being the Father of the
Bride.  You're a "principal" in this and trying to do any amount of
photography beyond a few frames you might be able to grab here and there
apart from being Father of the Bride will be frustrating, and will detract
from your #1 priority.  I hope someone else is The Official Photographer,
that it's their only responsibility for the ceremony and reception, and that
you're only expected to get a few here and there throughout the day!

Regarding WX in Ohio in June . . . I think Rob already covered it . . . not
much different from central Indiana in June . . . could be very nice day
withreasonably low humidity (40-60%) and temps in mid-70's . . . or it could
be sweltering humidity with both it and the temps in the 90's . . . or it
could be severe thunderstorm with hail and a tornado watch.  You'll get a
better handle on it starting about five days beforehand and check it every
day . . . forecasts around here are subject to change without notice.  WX in
the Ohio Valley (IL-IN-OH) typically rolls through coming from the west or
northwest . . . and depending on how far north you are in Ohio, the Huge
Laketo the north can affect it.  However, summer storm cells can generate
themselves from thin (actually thick with humidity) air.

Regarding gear . . . take all the lenses.  The 35-105 range is a mainstay
forwedding photogs . . . but you may find a dim viewfinder that frustrates
focusing quickly inside the tents with the 35-105/3.5~4.5 Zuiko.  It's why I
have the Tamron f/2.8 35-105's.  Have the 50/1.2 ready as a backup if you
runinto dim viewfinder problems and use shoe leather zoom.  Have the others
within reasonable reach, but avoid changing lenses very often.  Avoid using
the 28mm unless something compelling for that wide comes along . . . you can
get into perspective problems easily with it . . . 35mm at the short end of
the zoom is safer.

Flash?  From the list you gave I'd use the BG2 with T32 and have at least
twosets of NiMH fully charged . . . for both the BG2 and T32.  The T-32 has
ahigher GN than the F280 and you'll need it.  The BG2 (with NiMH in it and
the T-32) will get the flash back up and ready very quickly and that's
important.  I've never used a winder for a wedding but in the absence of a
cable release on the BG2 handle I'd be tempted to with a BG2.  Without it
(ora cable release on the handle) you need good dexterity to hold camera,
focus lens, push shutter release and wind on to next frame.  Assemble the
whole BG2/T-32 system together with and without winder and play with it.
Power the winder if you use it with lithiums or alkalines . . . and have a
couple extra sets for it too . . . my winder doesn't work all that well with
lower voltage NiMH cells in spite of their current capacity.  Unless it's
very heavy overcast, the T-32 should be able to put out enough light.  Take
the 2nd T-32 as backup.

I don't know if B&H will ship to someplace other than your credit card
billing address . . . check their site for this before ordering from them!

Seriously . . . I hope you're NOT the Official Photographer!

BTW . . . where is this is Ohio?

-- John Lind