[OM] Re: What is wrong here? [was My personal Film vs. Digital tests -

Subject: [OM] Re: What is wrong here? [was My personal Film vs. Digital tests - II]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 01:51:12 -0700
R. Jackson wrote:

>You've gotta explain this one. April and I live in Sonoma County and
>she even works for the Sheriff's Office, but neither of us can think
>of anything controversial about Sea Ranch. ;-)

I suppose I should have put it in the past tense, although I know there
are still those who feel it was a mistake. There was a lot of opposition
to the plan, for all kinds of reasons, sensible and not, back when it
started 40+ years ago. Remember, it was the sixties, various kinds of
radicalism were building and a new round of environmental activism was
starting up. One of the roots of the the coastal protection movement was
the reaction to the unprecedented size/scope of Sea Ranch, as a huge,
wild section of coast was developed made off limits to all but the
privileged (not my words) in one fell swoop. If the same area had been
developed slowly and piecemeal, it would probably not have had such a
great reactive effect. So in one of those turns of fate, Sea Ranch was
one of the things that stirred up a lot of opposition to then current
policies which led to the formation of the Coastal Commission.

"In 1972, alarmed that private development was cutting off public access
to the shore,
Californians rallied to “Save Our Coast.” They declared by voter
initiative that “it is the
policy of the State to preserve, protect, and where possible, to restore
the resources of
the coastal zone for the enjoyment of the current and succeeding
generations.” The initiative
created the California Coastal Commission to make land use decisions in
the Coastal
Zone while additional planning occurred.

In 1976, the Legislature enacted the California Coastal Act, which
established a farreaching
coastal protection program and made permanent the California Coastal
Commission as it exists today. The Commission plans and regulates
development and natural
resource use along the coast in partnership with local governments and
in keeping
with the requirements of the Coastal Act."
- from the brochure, "California Coastal Commission, Why it exists and
what it does"

Public pressure (and the CCC?) also lead to opening up the actual
coastline at Sea Ranch to the public, although they still make it quite
inconvenient.

I am not here advocating any side, by the way, just providing info in
answer to the question.

Moose