[OM] Re: E-1 shots for interest

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 shots for interest
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 02:09:00 -0700
Brian Swale wrote:

>Hi all
>
>Here are three of the first seventy E-1 shots I made (the top 3 of the page).
>
>http://homepages.caverock.net.nz/~bj/photography/zuikoholics/recent4.htm\

Very Nice!! The first is my favorite, I love the mood and the lots of
different distinct distance planes.

Only one thing I would try to change and that's the foreground on the
third one, which looks over sharpened. I run into the same thing a lot,
where sharpening that's right for the main subject overdoes the
foreground. *

About the Monterey Cypress, I assume from the "sticking up" bit that you
mean these <http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/SonMen02.htm>? They look
to me like the cypresses I see around Monterey and that's what folks
call them. Groves are small, but they are all over the Marin, Sonoma and
Mendocino Co. coasts. I've assumed the grove size is a natural result of
the many different climate/ecological niches on this coast. Lots of
different flora, and each kind found only in certain types of places.
These trees are mostly found just inland from the really exposed areas,
where the Monterey Pines are often found in very interesting
configurations from the wind, often in small valleys with some wind
protection, like the top shot. although also on hill tops a little
further in. Top shot is from my recent trip and I like it. Bottom shot
is an out take from another trip that isn't very good and is a poor
scan, but it does show what they look like on a hilltop exposed to
constant wind. Much more straggly and beat up.

If I've got the right trees, "geologically extinct" seems overstated,
but I'm no Biologist.

Moose

* the top shot on the web page has part of the foreground and main main
subjects sharpened differently.