[OM] Re: Portrait Lens (question)

Subject: [OM] Re: Portrait Lens (question)
From: Fernando Gonzalez Gentile <fgnzalez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 10:24:41 -0300
on 26/05/2005 05:04, Moose at olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wrote:

> So if one wants those things the 135/4.5 may be too sharp wide open and
> not fast enough for adequate DOF. For a razor sharp image with no
> background issues, it would be good.
[snip]
> In all cases, the tests show that these are lenses with
> vibration issues, but the 135/4.5 is inherently sharper wide open. So
> unless you want that, it may not be a prime choice for portrait use.
Yes Moose, I understand.
What about using a Hoya Fog filter [A] .... ?
I remember having done a B&W self portrait using it, I was about 20 then. It
looked good, my mother still has it framed and sitting on a shelf.

> Also, its usefulness will depend a lot on shooting style. In a
> controlled situation, it would be fine. In casual use or street shots
> like Iwert's, where subject distance and composition  can change
> quickly, it would be awkward, with the two different focusing
> mechanisms. It is certainly excellent for what it was designed to do. I
> have one and have taken lots of pics with it, but none of people that I
> can recall.
Well, my understanding of portraits has always been in controlled
environments and lighting setup. Otherwise, I'd call them snapshots or
street sceenes. I'd even use a 28mm or a 85~250 (/w faster than 100 film) in
these cases.

If I happen to find this lens, I think I couldn't help myself into trying it
as a portrait lens, just as an experiment, as I did with the Hoya filter.

Thanks for your advice,

Fernando.