[OM] Re: Speaking of the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko....

Subject: [OM] Re: Speaking of the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko....
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 13:17:46 -0500
Quoting Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxx>:

> Mentioning what I wouldn't sell mine for got me to
> thinking.  I don't read the digital stuff all that
> thoroughly, so I may have missed a tidbit or two here and
> there, but I don't recall any of you pixelheads talking
> about using the analog Zuiko zooms on either an E-Thing
> or even an off-brand DSLR, like a C-Thing.  I would've
> thought the 35-80/2.8 Zuiko would be a natural,
> considering its reputation for quality.
>
> Exactly why is that?  Don't any of y'all have one?  If
> someone would like to donate an E-Thing for a few months,
> I could check it out.  :-)
>
> Walt

I suppose I haven't done more with it because it becomes
the equivalent of a 75-150 (not literally, but you know
the lens I'm thinking of), which was never one of my
favoriate lenses, and it's very heavy for the mount in
cases of tripod shots, when the 14-54 covers a lot of the
range very well and is much lighter.  I think the E-1
mount is fully up to the weight.  I don't know about the
Canyons but might be concerned about the mount on the d-
rebels.

It is on the to-do list however.  I did a little
comparison of the 35-80 at the long end at the same time I
was trying out the 90/2.  I just enjoyed using the 90/2 so
much that I didn't really get back to the 35-80/2.8.

The one thing I recall specifically is that color balance
was very good, requiring no special fooling around to
trick the camera's WB settings -- a Good Thing IMO.

Joel W.