[OM] OT Photographing Azaleas [was Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Shoul

Subject: [OM] OT Photographing Azaleas [was Decisions, Decisions; Which Two Should I Send?]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 17:31:24 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>I know what you mean about the clusters.  Hard to figure out where to
>focus.  I think the problem here is too even illumination.  There is not
>enough shadow to differentiate the blossoms one from the other.  It may
>need some directional light from a reflector.

I agree that light is particularly important with azaleas. Here, in
particular, the lack of tonal variation in the blossoms is a problem.

I think part of the problem is somewhere in the digital process. The
histogram has a lot of tall, narrow spikes. In my experience, this can
occur when 8 bit images are digitally manipulated to compress a part of
the brightness range. Then areas that had subtle differences in tone are
forced to the same value, losing tonal texture/detail.

>John A. Lind wrote:
>

>>If anyone has suggestions on how to compose an azalea blossom, it would be
>>most welcome.  I've never photographed them before.  They explode with many
>>blossoms in very tight clusters . . . was frustrated trying to get
>>separation of one from the rest for a close-up . . . is it even possible
>>without chopping one off?

Direct light is always difficult. Possible, but you really have to be
sure to hold all the highlights. They are where so much of the detail
and character are. I like partial side light to bring out all the subtle
details. Back light can also be really nice
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/Azaleas.htm>. I was lucky here, lots
of azaleas on a curving path, so I could pick the angle of light,
although the backlit one was another time of another day

Moose