[OM] Yugo with a V8 engine

Subject: [OM] Yugo with a V8 engine
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 07:49:48 -0700 (PDT)
Yesterday I had the pleasure of checking out the new DRebel 350.
I don't mean to be picky, but that is the chintziest piece of
garbage I've seen since the Yugo hit the American streets.

Granted, it has a very nice sensor and decent features, but the
thing is living down to the "Rebel" construction:

1. It creaked. (not quite as bad as the 300d, though).
2. It shook when taking a picture. Talk about shutter vibration.
3. The grip shape is for martians.
4. The viewfinder is tiny and distant. It also had more of the
look of a straight-optical viewfinder of a P&S or rangefinder
camera where there is no true focusing screen.  This is an
indication that the focusing screen is pretty much just a
microprism surface.  Oh, and I never could get the diopter
adjustment to give me a clear image without pulling my eyes to
an apparant one foot optical viewing distance. (OMs are about
5-6 feet).
5. Loud.  Quaaak!  Ok, maybe it isn't very loud, but the sound
is definitely not pleasing.
6. The kit lens is garbage. Barrel distortion and scungy
feeling. Manual focusing is worthless on it and just touching
the focusing ring moves the lens around (changing the image
framing).
7. Control layout is a major step down from the original DRebel.
If that was possible.
8. Menu system is a total disaster. Monitor also looks smaller
than it is.

Granted, there are a few niceties and improvements. But this
camera is, in my opinion, a low-level P&S with swappable lenses.
 Other than image quality and a couple performance spec issues,
my M*nolta A1 runs circles around this thing.

I don't understand the infatuation the masses have with the
DRebels. This camera is a half-step away from being a
disposable.  I have more trust in a plastic grocery sack
carrying two gallons of milk than I do in this camera.

Reminds me of Huffy bicycles. Great looking and full-featured.
But I'll take my Cannondale, thank you very much.

It won't grace my camera bag anytime soon.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com