[OM] Re: AgfaPhoto GmbH (Agfa Germany) bites the dust - English version

Subject: [OM] Re: AgfaPhoto GmbH (Agfa Germany) bites the dust - English version
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:04:42 -0500
At 10:55 AM 5/27/2005, Winsor Crosby wrote:

>It makes me sad. It would have been nice to see another traditional
>photo company rather than an electronics company make the transition
>into this new age of photography.

Makes me sad too.  However, it appears to be the German equivalent of a
bankruptcy protection . . . whatever that means specifically under German
law.  They have the possibility of emerging from it . . . versus
liquidation to creditors . . . but what they will be when (and if) they do
is undoubtedly up in the air.

Agfa was at one time the sole powerhouse competitor to Kodak.  Since WWII
that shifted and Agfa (like so many Germany photography related companies)
never emerged from the war to what they once were . . . and have remained a
poor #3 behind Kodak and Fuji for some time now.

My biggest worry is what will happen to Scala 200X . . . one of the most
unique films on the market . . . and one Agfa product that I use.

-- John Lind