[OM] Yugo with a V8 engine

Subject: [OM] Yugo with a V8 engine
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 11:15:45 -0400
Yowch! Mine arrived yesterday :) ...  Actually, I don't totally disagree
with you, but I kept coming back to that sensor. Man, oh man. 8 MP and no
noise. And mirror-lockup and DOF preview and boatloads of good used glass
floating around. In my case, it will be sort of a P&S: it's replacing my
N*kon N70 and N*kon 24, 50, and 85 as the camera of choice for family
events, vacations, and so on -- times when AF and "please,
computer-make-the-decisions" flash are (for me) essential. When my 5
year-old son, Gus, and I "go picturing" it'll still be the bag o' OM-1 or
Mam*ya 645 to go along with me. And I'm saving up for a Texas Leica.

I agree about the kit lens...c'mon, why spend 8 bills on a body and bolt on
that thing? I sprung for the 50 1.4 and the 28-105 3.5. Someday I'll add the
20 or the very nice 17-40L lens, assuming I like the camera enough. Mine
doesn't creak or shake when it fires and it fits my martian hands pretty
well, actually. I've read an awful lot of back and forth on photo.net about
Canon's QC -- maybe there was something physically wrong with the sample you
tried? Creaking and shaking would be most distressing. Hell, I do enough of
that, I don't need it from the camera. And I turned the sound off. Oddly I
find the menu system very intuitive. Of course, as noted above, it's
replacing an N70, which was notorious for its Rube Goldberg style menus. The
viewfinder is silly, though. And I can see why, uh, NASA wouldn't send this
thing to the moon...I am in no hurry to give it the drop kick test.

As an aside, a good pal of mine dropped a Fiat 1.5 DOHC, wildly worked, into
his (then) brand new Yugo. It was hilarious. It would practically do
wheelies in reverse (FWD, ya know...). It could friggin' fly, though no
amount of black magic could get it to handle. Ultimately, it was run over by
a New York City garbage truck (oh, the irony) which inexplicably backed up
trying to negotiate a traffic jam at the mouth of the tunnel.

Matthew Born