[OM] Re: Yugo with a V8 engine

Subject: [OM] Re: Yugo with a V8 engine
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 16:15:35 -0700
AG Schnozz wrote:

>--- Moose wrote:
>

>>LOL Boy I'll bet you had fun writing this!
>>

>I figured my post would get you going.

I'm sooo transparent. [:-o

>>What in heaven's name do you do to it to make it creak? I
>>guess I'm just too gentle.
>>

>That is part of the problem. I'm not overly gentle with my
>equipment..........  My IS-3 is plastic and it creaks like no
>tomorrow.

OK, gotcha, Oly creak is fine, on other makes it indicates junk. Makes
sense on an Oly list.

>>Must be a Princess and the pea thing. You are the Princess, by
>>the way, and I'm just an insensitive scullery girl...
>>

>LOL. Ok, fine. I'm a little picky about shutter vibration. Guess
>I've done too many pictures in the 1/4 to 1/15 range.

That's 1/15 to 1/60 on a DRebel for the same noise. Maybe that could
make up for some of the shutter noise/vibration.

>This is the OM system weakness too.  On the other hand, I'm horribly
>spoiled by my A1

I can't figure out why you don't have an A2.

>, E-1, XA, and Crown Graphic.

Playing with them in a store, I just didn't find all that much
difference between the E-1 and the 300D. Maybe I was just so shocked at
the size and weight of the E-1 that I was numb. Yes, I waked in carrying
an OM-4. XA is so quiet, you can only tell if you took the shot in a
very quiet place. Lovely thingie.

> <> 3. The grip shape is for martians.
>
>>Been around this one before. Different grips for different
>>hands.
>>

>Um, this time I wasn't referring to the 300, but the 350. The
>grip is reeaaaaallly different.
>
>The 350 has a redesigned viewfinder. The "postage stamp" shrunk.
> There are a few improvements, but overall, the viewfinder is
>another step south.  In my "stare and compare" the difference
>between the 350 and 300 is about the same as the 300 and 20D.

Ah! Well, I'm put off the 350D anyway by the change in battery, so I
haven't looked at one. I figure if Oly, as first choice, and Min*lta, as
second, haven't come up with the right camera for me by the time I'm
ready for a new body, I'll just move up in the Can*n line. I don't see
where the 350D buys me anything over what I've got.

>>>Other than image quality...
>>>

>>Oh my, and here I thought that was the most important
>>thing.........
>>

>Not really. It's only one factor.  For example, let's talk about
>shutter-delay.  If a camera takes 2-seconds to finally take the
>picture after you press the shutter release any "image quality"
>gains from that camera are more than offset by the loss of
>pictures due to incorrect timing.  BTW, the 350 was responsive
>enough.

Partly just pulling your leg there. I agree that image quality,
important as it is, isn't everything. I thought you would counter with
the superior "out of the camera" image quality of the E-1. Considering
the amount of post processing time many of my 300D images require to get
where I want them, I can see where it would be a real problem for a pro.

>>I assume here you refer to event shooting and such pro activities. I don't do
>>those and find the D300 rather easy to use. Perfect? No way. Perfectly
>>usable, sure.
>>

>Ok, you've got me there.  My requirements are a little
>different. I need a camera that is inuitive, unobtrusive, gets
>the job done and works flawlessly in almost any working
>condition.  But amazingly enough, I still use the A1 as much (if
>not more) than the E-1 when it comes to non-portrait/event
>photography.

I hear that A2 calling you......

>>there I am back down with the masses again, and you
>>waving from up on the battlements, while quietly wanting
>>to hold you nose. That's fine, I like it down here.
>>

>Except I'm probably waiving the white flag.  Maybe the masses
>know something I don't.

Or need something different than you do. Interesting Freudian spelling
slip, by the way.

>But the masses did reelect "W".

Now, now, don' t go sullying my camera with such associations. {'^)

>>As to infatuation, how about discrimination and an
>>understanding of what they will use it for? The D300 makes
>>fabulous images for peanuts and works with full
>>finctionality with lenses that many already have...
>>

>You are absolutely correct.  C*non isn't "creating" the demand,
>it's just responding to it with a nicely priced, full-featured
>camera that meets and exceeds the requirements for the bulk of
>the users that'll never use any setting beyond the P.

"P", what does that one do? We masses mostly just use the blank
rectangle setting to go with our minds. Or the ones with pictures we can
understand, like mountains, a head, a flower, someone running. We don't
know what the ones with letters or those weird ones with stars and
lightning bolts are for, so we stay away from them.

Well, I've actually never used all those picture ones. I mostly use
aperture priority, probably because it's what I'm used to on the OM-2n
and OM-4 bodies. I do use P sometimes for casual stuff, after all, you
can see what it's going to do in the viewfinder. P or the blank
rectangle could be a pretty good place to leave it when not actively
shooting, though, for those occasional moments when there is only time
to point and shoot. My grab shot of the Turkey Vulture was in A, though.

>>...and if Oly doesn't make an E
>>system camera that meets my needs by then, it can become
>>second body to the succesor to the 20D or 1D. You get to
>>write off your equipment and actually pay for it with cash
>>it generates in your hands.
>>

>Somehow I question Oly's desire or ability to deliver a
>competitive higher-end camera.

Yeah, bummer if true. Looks to me like the sleeper may be the latest
Fuji sensor, so far seen only in the F10. If they can scale up the
relative performance to APS size, the prospect 12-14mp with essentially
noiseless iso 1600 looms. That would just completely change DSLRs for
many uses. And who needs IS when you have iso 3200 that's no noisier
than iso 200 film?

>Unless, of course, they are just
>quietly building the entire system up and once the pixel wars
>settle down they'll introduce something that specs out like the
>D2X.  They'll then run it for 14 years like they did with the
>OM-4T.

Cynic! I suspect that the end of the pixel wars will overlap the
begining of the size wars. There is no theoretical reason for an APS
sensor DSLR to be any bigger than an OM.

>I am blessed that I've got the ability to earn money with the cameras.

Amen!

You know, I'm not really all that attracted to Can*n, in the way that I
have an attachment to Oly. It's just the lens mount issue that led me
there. The E-1 had some weaknesses I didn't want to live with for my
uses and the only other DSLR that would accomodate my OM mount lenses
was Can*n. If it weren't for that I might well have a Pent*x. It comes
much closer to the OM philosophy than does the E-1. It was the same
thing with a P&S. I wanted a really pocketable one. Oly was still making
them all around AA batteries and they were just not competitive for my
'specs'. The S110 was much closer to the ideas that created the XA than
the cameras then being made by Oly.

Even today, their line of small DCs seems terribly confusing and very
middle of the road to me. Some good prosumer stuff, but I'm not in the
market for that.

Moose