[OM] Re: Recent Kodachromes

Subject: [OM] Re: Recent Kodachromes
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 20:23:07 -0500
At 06:31 PM 5/28/2005, you wrote:
>Yes, nice images on the web ( and with navigation arrows, yay!), but
>lacking the sharpness, detail, contrast, just plain zip, that I'm sure
>the originals have or a film scan would have.
>
>Even at ordinary web display sizes, scans of 4x6s just lose so much
><http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/PrintvsScan/pages/FBvsFSfu.htm>.
>
>Moose

Yes, the 4x6's I had made lose something from the slides . . . they were
done at the local super-discount super-store . . . matte finish (which
loses something in itself).  I'd hear about it (under no uncertain terms)
if they were printed properly by a real lab on high gloss materials (the
cost).  The store just installed new equipment for making 4x6's from slides
and these were an improvement over what they've done in the past and they
did maintain the correct color balance quite well.  Ilfochrome prints don't
lose what these do from the slides.  I need to have some of the slides
scanned . . . been wanting a film scanner for some time . . . but also want
one that can handle medium format and thus far the price remains
prohibitive (other priorities) . . . so I have them scanned in batches by a
lab many miles away in The Big City.  The flatbed isn't the world's
greatest either . . . although it is better than the one we use at work.

I'm not a fan of Ektachrome other than their 160 tungsten for some urban
night shooting and their E200 for some astro stuff.  Just pulled a roll of
E100G out of the reefer . . . bought *one* 35mm roll with the last film
order just to see what it does and how it compares to the E100S that I used
a few rolls of and abandoned in favor of Provia for medium format.

The Other Half abhors my use of chromes.  She's a  "Creative Memories"
scrapbook addict that wants piles of matte finish 4x6's (so they can be
handled extensively without fingerprints showing) at lowest possible cost
and wonders why I won't use Kodak "Bright Sun and Flash" (aka Gold 200)
from the grocery store checkout stand rack like "normal people" do.  The
reason for getting a few 4x6's printed of the garden flowers . . . to keep
her reasonably happy.

-- John Lind