[OM] Re: Info from a New Zealand list member please

Subject: [OM] Re: Info from a New Zealand list member please
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 20:59:59 +1000
IBAN is the european protocol. The US version is ABA I think (?) Here
in Oz we use a BSB number for direct transfer. All of these are
effectively domestic systems - tho' don't tell the Germans! They
think everyone should use IBAN numbers and refuse to Paypal - very
annoying at times.
The real international system is Swift transfer for which you need
the exact code for the bank (a series of letters), the bank address
and branch and the recipients name and address. it's quite effective
and secure, takes less than 48hrs but costs around $20 for the
sender, nothing for the receiver.
You could also use Western Union which is well represented down here
but that's even more expensive and has lousy exchange rates.
You can post a bank draft, but you will be charged and the receiver
will be charged by their bank for processing a foreign origin cheque.
And if you don't ask for it to be made out in the destination
currency, it will take a month to clear as it is then a 'foreign
currency instrument'. The same rules apply to Bidpay money orders -
two weeks to arrive and four weeks to clear plus a fee to clear it.
Any UK bank should be able to help you with the exact procedure if
you have the full details of the recipient.
AndrewF