[OM] Fuzzy E-1 digital greens

Subject: [OM] Fuzzy E-1 digital greens
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 07:00:59 -0400
Okay, I may be letting my digital ignorance hang out here, but . . . Anyway,
a question about digital greens. It's spring here in Occupied Canada (aka
Maine). Trees are just starting to leaf up, and thus have a somewhat fuzzy
appearance when seen from a distance. This fuzziness apparently is something
digital sensors capture well. (Olympus C-5060, E-1) I've noticed in several
prints (Epson 2200) that upon close inspections, distant greens appear
distinctly fuzzy, and furthermore, they seem to print somewhat lighter than
they appear on my monitor. I've calibrated the monitor as best I can
(WiziWYG) with the naked eye and everything seems right, but these greens
are throwing me off. If the shot is close up of green leaves, etc., then the
color and saturation is fine. It's distance that seems to have some effect
here. I'm tempted to suspect it's just the nature of the foliage (and grass,
too) at this time of year, but I thought I'd throw out the question to see
if some of you digi-gurus have any thoughts.

Thanx,

--Bob