[OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 15:30:10 +0000
I agree about Deadwood.  Maybe it didn't get as much of a response here
because, technically speaking, it's not a "movie" but a made-for-HBO series,
kind of a gritty western soap opera.  It took me a couple of episodes to get
accustomed to and comfortable with Ian McShane as Al Swearengen, having become
familiar with him previously as Lovejoy, his character in the old British TV
series where he was a lovable, rascally antiques dealer/detective of a far
gentler disposition.

I've got both seasons of Deadwood on tape, and often find it necessary to watch
each episode a second time in order to appreciate all the clever nuances of
some of the Elizabethan-style dialogue -- like E.B. Farnum last week excusing
his sudden mid-speech pause and strange posture by explaining that he was
suffering from digestive distress and was "attempting to suppress its
expression," a line that caused me to laugh so hard I nearly loosed a
digestive-related expression of my own.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from