[OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] NOW: Westerns......
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 09:55:31 -0700
High Noon is a great one. A landmark film. The only negatives I'd
have about it is that it was shot cheap on a backlot and as a result
looks kind of like a TV western of the era. And that Gary Cooper was
having really serious back pain during the filming and can barely
walk in some of the scenes, but that kind of works with the story. On
a side note, we had a guest speaker a while back who was the head of
TV at CAA during the Ovitz years. Fred Zinnemann came in looking for
work and this guy told him that his string of Academy Awards made
nice mantle-dressing, but he'd had the singularly bad taste to get
old and they didn't have anything for him. This agent was relating
the story as a "isn't it funny the kind of kooks you deal with in
Hollywood" anecdote and I eventually found that I couldn't look at
him without seeing horns and a pitchfork.

You know, I liked the remake of High Noon with Tom Skerritt. I know
the rest of the world despised it, but I thought it was pretty
entertaining.