[OM] Re: Hi, Re + E-1 obsession

Subject: [OM] Re: Hi, Re + E-1 obsession
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 05:17:01 -0700 (PDT)
> I'm Peter L., I've resubscribed myself for the upteenth
> time to this warm list of congeniality and wretched peer
> pressure that has already cost me a fortune.

Welcome back.

> Here's my master plan:
> 1) Get myself a E-1 + 14-54 kit.  I don't care for the 14-54
> lens, as I'm not a fan of standard lenses.  Additionally, I
> didn't like the bokeh I've seen in pictures online.

With an effective range of approximately 28mm to 108mm the 14-54
is slightly more than a "standard lens". It's pretty well glued
onto the front of my E-1 for most of my paying work.  The bokeh
is not quite as nice as most Prime Zuikos from yesteryear, but
not necessarily disturbing either. What really stands out to me
with this lens is the lack of distortion. It's a very well
corrected lens.  Yesterday I shot about 150 pictures.  All but
10 were taken with the 14-54.  These were stock shots.

> increases by 2 stops, giving an effective DOF equivalent of an
> f4.0 on OM bodies.  I mean, there's no way to get the nose tip
> of the nice lady...

A smaller format "tends" to give you a slightly deeper DOF.
However, how a lens achieves this is the biggest variable.
Today's lenses are incredibly sharp, with a deep "in-focus band,
but the out-of-focus parts of the picture only go so far out of
focus. Older lenses, especially prime lenses of a symetrical
design have a very thin "in-focus band" and the out-of-focus
parts of the picture keep getting softer and softer the more
distant they are from the focus point.

My point is, a 100/2.8 mounted on the E-1 still gives you the
same beautiful bokeh as it did on an OM-4.  It also retains that
very narrow in-focus band too.

Here's my current opinion on my older lenses on the E-1:
24/2.8 - No gain other than taking my 49mm filters.
35/2.8 - Really nice bokeh. Worth using.
50/1.8 - Bokeh is ho-hum, No gain over 14-54 zoom.
50/3.5 - Bokeh is better, sharp 5.6-8. Excellent macro.
100/2.8 - Bokeh is awesome, perfect lens in almost every way.
135/3.5 - Bokeh is lacking, snooze.
200/4 - Chromatic abberations are alive and well. Bokeh is
great.

I mostly use the 35, 100 and 200 on my E-1.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com