[OM] Re: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2

Subject: [OM] Re: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2
From: Richard Schaetzl <olympuslist.rs@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 18:09:43 +0200
Rand E. schrieb:
>   I found the 40f2 to be just about ideal for taking pictures inside
> caves.

> iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
 >>but they aren't 40mm!

Hard to argue against that.

Only, I never found someone so sensitive on focal length
insisting on, for example, a 120mm lens, since the 100mm or
135mm "wouldn`t cut it", had that hard to describe
perspectiv advantage.

If 40mm would be that inspired focal length, wouldn´t it be
the most sold focal length, instead of an niche product,
which sold so bad, no second productions run had been made?

Didn`t that 40mm rage start on this list, when someone
praised that "rare and special" 40mm lens "Hollywood had
bought all remaining stock"?
Resulting in far overpriced lenses, kind of that dutch tulip
craze.

Isn`t it an "emperor new clothes" situation? Can the owners
of that lens admit, that it is an quite ordinary lens,
nothing special, like an 35mm or 50mm lens, otherwise their
"investment" would loose much of its value?*

Just my interpretation and of course everybody may spend his
money on what pleases most.

Richard

*I have nearly the same impression of the Leica thread mount
camera market.
Too many "useless" because difficult to use cameras, a
number of hording camera owners, insisting on the high value
of their stuff and hardly any buyer.