[OM] Re: Zuiko 35-80/2.8 + E-1 w/4/3 adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: Zuiko 35-80/2.8 + E-1 w/4/3 adapter
From: jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 12:46:50 -0500
Quoting AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>:

> > > Could be the changing window light striking the
> external
> > > WB sensor on
> > > the E-1, if you were using Auto WB.
>
> Interesting discussion. Two of my lenses are EXTREMELY
> warm on
> the E-1.  I usually don't use AWB, but either do a WB-set
> or
> dial in a fixed WB setting.  What's strange is how
> variable the
> warmness is depending on F-Stop.
>
> Makes me wonder if digital sensors are more sensitive to
> WB
> variations than slide film.  I don't think I've ever seen
> so
> much variation in WB in outdoor lighting as I've
> experienced
> with digital.  Velvia and Provia tend to increase
> saturation in
> warm light and neutralize some in shadow and overcast.
> With
> digital, the color shift appears much more extreme and
> is
> represented by a color shift and not an increase in
> saturation.
>
> Strangeness abounds.
>
> AG

Ditto.  I usually can get a pretty good correction by going
to the WB setting just cooler than the condition setting
(i.e., if Sunny, one under that, etc.).  Which is why I
think that when using Zuikos on the E-1 it is good 1) to
shoot RAW and 2) use Olympus Viewer, which can mimic the
camera settings (all, not just WB).  Helps you learn a lot
about your lenses.

But now as I think about it, I do think I experience these
variations far more with Zuikos than with the ZD 14-54.  So
I do really wonder if the sensor isn't gagging a little bit
when a Zuiko is mounted.  Another reason why the two steps
above are quite helpful.

Joel W.