[OM] Re: Cost of digital prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Cost of digital prints
From: iddi <iddibhai@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 15:04:48 -0700
On Wed, 01 Jun 2005 14:48:21 -0700, Barry B. Bean <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> A buddy of mine has asked me to print 500 or so of his snapshots from
> his South American vacation, and is insisting on paying me for the
> trouble. Given that its 500 prints, I'm going to let him pay me
> something close to the cost of paper and ink. The problem is that I
> haven't printed enough with my new printer to have a good handle on what
> actual ink costs per print are running.
>
> Given that I'm using an 8 color Epson R1800, and most of the prints will
> be 3" X 4" or 4" X 5.5" on roll paper (Epson semigloss) with maybe a
> handful (a dozen or two) 8 X 10s, what would you expect
> the out of pocket cost to run?
>
> On a related note, if he took the job to a run of the mill photo
> lab/printer, what would they charge?

http://www.Adoramapix.com will run bulk 16cents each for the small sizes.
people seem happy with that service, and he can upload from his computer
via downloadable interface (profiles for said printers, noritsu digital on
kodak royal glossy or matte). shipping is $4 for the first 100, and a
dollar for each increment of 25.

Or, the local Sams/Costco, if equipped with Fuji Frontier, will get you a
much better price and can do the lot--just go on off-peak times :)

I guess since you'll be doing the workflow on a calibrated machine,
charging about the same as adorama would work (consumables plus labor).

--
/S
aim:iddibhai