[OM] Re: Cost of digital prints

Subject: [OM] Re: Cost of digital prints
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 19:03:55 -0400
For the bulk of small prints I suggest the same as Bill except that I'd
probably package them up on a CD and send them off to a place like this
<http://www.mpix.com/productsinfo.aspx>  CD mailers available here:
<http://www.mpix.com/cdservice.aspx>
Your local camera/drug store may be able to do as well but I think
you'll get better quality control from a place like mpix.  I also think
it will be hard to beat 29 cents/print by very much.  I'm sure others
here have their favorites.  Mpix does OK on the printing as long as you
can avoid using their web page image selection software beyond a "print
everything".  Software ain't their forte and the image selection stuff
will drive you nuts.  Fortunately, if you send the images on line or
send a CD you know you want to print them all.

You might want to consider doing the 8x10's yourself and giving them a
little extra effort.  But even then I'd be inclined to send them off and
let the volume operation handle it since a dozen or two 8x10's is more
than a little work.  You may want to apply a small amount of sharpening
to each image before it goes but don't bother with brightness, contrast,
saturation, etc.  The printers will handle that.  They will also
resharpen the image so don't apply too much initial sharpening.  In
terms of PhotoShop unsharp mask parameters we typically use a radius of
0.4 pixels and sharpening percentage about 100% (more or less) for
prints sent to Miller's.

Note: Mpix is a division of Miller's Professional Imaging
<http://www.millerslab.com/> which caters to pro's who sign up for what
is supposed to be a largish mimimum dollar amount.  Mpix uses the same
types of printers, paper and calibration as does Miller's.  That said,
Miller's seems to be having some QC problems lately on moderately
complex orders.  Perhaps breaking in some new operators.  YMMV

My two cents,
Chuck Norcutt