[OM] Why is there no 60mm lens ? Was: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2

Subject: [OM] Why is there no 60mm lens ? Was: 7519772104 reasonable 40f2
From: Der Eiserne Reiter <ferider@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 06:54:58 -0700 (PDT)
The one thing I have always been wondering:
why has 60mm not been a popular focal length ?

To explain: I think about focal length in terms of area mapped to film.
When I take a lens set on a walk, I try to pick a combination where each
lens gives me factor 2 (or half) of the image compared to the next lens in
the line-up (speaking digitally, when scanned, I get twice or half the
resolution). For this to work, the focal lengths should have factor
1.4 as multiplier (1 "stop"). So, for instance,

17, 24, 35, 50, 75, 105

is a great line-up in these terms. Or

15, 21, 28, 40, 60, 85/90, 135

fit very well, too. (I do not mean to imply that I own all of these Zuikos ...)
All these lengths are very popular, except for 60mm.
Does anybody know why almost no 60mm lenses were built in the past ? There are
a few 55s (one Zuiko), a 65 Elmar, and the 100mm Zeiss/Hasselblad (which
corresponds
to 60mm). There is a 60mm half-frame Zuiko, but this corresponds to a different
length in full-frame.

Regards,

Roland.

Discover Yahoo!