[OM] Re: Pelang fisheye?

Subject: [OM] Re: Pelang fisheye?
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:42:12 +1000

> Has she forgiven you yet?

Probably not !

> The main problem with full fish portraits is avoiding that
> look - the
> one that says - 'the lens is 5cm from my nose - what ARE you doing?'
> Then there's the difficulty of keeping your own feet out of it, hey
> Wayne?

Yeah, just have to compose the shot with that in mind.

> I think that your example is deficient in the internal paintwork - I
> haven't seen other users complain and that effect would certainly
> cause complaint! Looks like reflection from the edge of the front
> element back on to the film due to poor element edge paint. Or none.
> It is repairable in Photoshop - at the same time as you are masking
> out the edge effects (and your feet) - but it isn't acceptable. Too
> late to return it?

I don't think it's just my example, I've seen a few examples on the 'net
with the same problem, probably just sloppy manufacturing.  Just had a look
at the lens itself and the front element looks ok (yeah, the coating must be
a bit uneven as the reflection colours change as you rotate the lens on it's
axis), but the rear element(s) appear to reflect a bit at the edges, maybe
that's the cause.

...Wayne