[OM] Re: [OT] English Language misuse !

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] English Language misuse !
From: "Jon Mitchell" <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 23:05:06 +0100
The "it's/its" example below is not a good one, to be honest.  It is one
of the exceptions to the rules.

The apostrophe is used to show a missing letter (or letters), as in "you
are" becoming "you're" in the other example.  However, it is also used
to show the possessive form ... "Jon's OM-2n is an excellent camera".
With "it" there is some confusion.  When shortening "it is" to "it's"
the apostrophe indicates the removed letter / space.  However, when "it"
is the owner of the OM-2n, the apostrophe is NOT used to show possession
.... "its OM-2n is an excellent camera" NOT "it's OM-2n is an excellent
camera".

Definitely putting my tin-opener away now,

Jon ;-)

PS:  Chris .... HELP !!