[OM] Re: Special Costco price on C-7000

Subject: [OM] Re: Special Costco price on C-7000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:29:29 -0700
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>This brings up a question I've thought about, but not raised.  Many Oly
>P&S cameras produced in the last several years, digital or otherwise,
>sport an "Olympus [Zoom] Lens".  Note, it does not say Zuiko on it.  My
>assumption, and I think I may have read it elsewhere, is that such
>lenses are not necessarily or probably not made by Olympus, but by a 3rd
>party.

I imagine the majority are made by Oly, but certainly not all. The IS
lens on the 2100UZ was clearly a Can*n.

>Does anyone know for sure?  And if so, do we have any sense of how good
>or "less good" these lenses might be, compared to Zuikos?

I would guess that they dropped the Zuiko name for P&S lenses for the
simple reason that their target market has no name recognition and, like
the others, they just put their corporat name on the fron of the lens. A
lens name different than the camera name, questions, confusion, maybe a
lost sale!

>Or is this all a non-issue these days.

Sort of. The issue is that it's the imaging system as a whole, lens,
sensor and processing electronics that together determine the quality of
the image. These components are all designed together and it is both
impossible and essentially meaningless to try to evaluate one component
separately. I can't remember the brand or models (there are sooo many),
but one model had a serious problem with purple fringing. The next
version didn't and it appeared the lens was identical. What was changed?
Lens, coating, sensor, processing? Probably more than one, less than
all. The dpreview reviews do give pretty good info on how the imaging
systems compare.

>After all, Zuikoholics NEED to know.

Yeah, I know, but I don't think we can. Think of it as a koan.

Moose