[OM] Re: Source and price range for adapter to use OM lenses on EOS?

Subject: [OM] Re: Source and price range for adapter to use OM lenses on EOS?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 19:37:25 -0700
Chuck Norcutt wrote:

>As to the vagaries of metering in stop-down mode on EOS thingies you'll
>have to ask Moose or someone who actually owns one.  I don't own one yet
>but hope to try this adapter on a 20D tomorrow.

Here's part of a response I made a couple of days ago to an off-list
enquiry about this.
Q. ..... although I don't know what OM lens would be compatible.

Essentially all of them work, in the sense that they fit the adapter and
you can take pictures with them. The practical limitations are of two
types. Mechanically, you have to be content with stop down metering and
manual focusing. For many uses, that's no problem for me. The other
problem is with metering. The OM lenses seem to fool the metering at
wide apertures. I posted this example before
<http://www.moosemystic.net/Gallery/300Dexp.jpg>. I've frankly never
noticed a problem except with fast lenses opened up. And as you can see,
even with a f1.4 lens, manual metering worked just fine.

Digital makes it easier too. I can take a shot and check the histogram
and flashing highlights, then correct with -EV if necessary. Not like
film where a missed guess means missed shots or the expense of a lot of
bracketing. You just delete the bad ones. Also, the DSLRs with RAW have
an amazing amount of latitude, much more than slides. I did several
shots inside the little Chapel I posted before, using the OM mount
19-35/3.5-4.5. The last two on the gallery are done with this lens, but
I did several others and all the exposures came out fine. I just mounted
the lens with adapter and fired away in Auto, no magic involved
<http://galleries.moosemystic.net/Chapel/>.