[OM] Re: #172

Subject: [OM] Re: #172
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 16:01:33 +1200
Hi all

Graham wrote

> The circle on the bank is a section from the middle tunnel removed during
> repairs. The protrusions on the inner circle mark the water level. It
> doesn't look deep enough for long boats, high enough for headroom or wide
> enough for two boats to pass but all three are obviously factored in.
>
> Olympus OM2 SP : Zuiko 21mm f2 : green filter : Kodak T400CN
> http://www.geebeephoto.com/2005/05172.htm
> Graham
> http://geebeephoto.com

Now, I'm no mathematician, but I can visualise things very well.

If that thing on the bank is a circle, and it looks like it, and it once was
part
of the inside wall of the tunnel, presumably the rest of the tunnel has the
same set of dimensions.  In order to extract it from the tunnel, the inside
diameter of the tunnel would have to be not only equal to the exterior
diameter of the ring, but actually slightly larger.

So that supposition appears to be a physical impossibility, unless the
section was removed vertically through a hole from above..

Interesting problem.

Brian