[OM] Re: Initials before Zuiko?

Subject: [OM] Re: Initials before Zuiko?
From: "Tom Scales" <tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 07:15:44 -0400

>>> Can anyone tell me what these initials; ie, E. Zuiko, F.
>>> Zuiko, G. Zuiko mean?
>>
>> This tells you the number of elements in the lens:
>>
>> E = 5
>> F = 6
>> G = 7
>>
> Thanks Wayne, I know they had to mean something.
>>>
>>> Also, are all multi-coated Zuiko lenses marked MC?
>>
>> No, several lenses were MC from the very beginning and weren't marked as
>> such, others were SC originally and when the lens was then made as MC
>> they
>> were marked as such, later on the MC designation was dropped when just
>> about
>> every lens was MC.
>
> So is there an easy way to tell the difference on an unmarked lens?
>
> Darin.

Not really.  Ask here and you'll likely get an answer, but it was quite
complicated.

For example, all the fast/wides were always MC.  So if you find a 21/2,
24/2, 28/2 or 35/2, it is MC.

If it is an x., where x could be E, F, etc., and it is not marked MC and it
is not a fast/wide, it is likely SC, but not always.

If it is a newer lens, of a model that started out SC, and it is not marked,
then it is likely MC, because it came after the version that would have been
marked MC.  For example, a 50/1.8 marked "Made in Japan" is the newest model
and while not marked MC, it IS MC.

There are likely other variations,  but this covers the highest percentage
of them.

Tom