[OM] Re: Y'all

Subject: [OM] Re: Y'all
From: "Bob Whitmire" <bwhitmire@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 09:25:14 -0400
>>Actually, "Y'all" is never used to address an individual.

>>Based on many trips to Tennessee and Kentucky, I would beg to differ.
>>Maybe it's different in the deep, deep south.

It's been my experience as a bred-in-the-bone Southerner that y'all can be
used to address an individual if the intent is to speak of more than one.
For example, I might ask a single individual I meet on the street, "When did
y'all get here?" meaning when did he and those who came with him arrive.

That said, I have heard real Southerners use y'all in the singular, but it's
not correct, sort of like spelling Tar Heel as one word. And then there was
the waitress I knew who, as her customers were leaving the sandwich shop,
would wave and say a loud and cheery "Caio, y'uns!" (The uber-plural of
y'uns is y'unses.)

--Bob, sometimes Bobby Lee among friends