[OM] Re: OT: optics

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: optics
From: "Jeff Keller" <jeff-keller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 08:56:32 -0700

1.) The retro-focus design of wide angles puts the glass elements a greater
distance away from the image plane than the focal length. The telephoto
design puts the glass elements closer to the focal plane than the focal
length. The focal length corresponds to the distance a single element lens
(which has the same angle of view) would be from the focal plane.

2.) The focal length of most eyepieces is less than 30mm. You can't get the
film close enough to the eyepiece to get the image in focus. Some of the
microscope "photo eyepieces" have much longer focal lengths. The typical
markings for the Olympus versions are NFK3.3x, NFK2.5x, etc. I'm not sure
how the multiplication factor is determined. Perhaps from the one of the
standard microscope tube lengths 160mm or 180mm. I would bet Mark knows.

Telescopes have very long focal lengths for the primary lens, and short
focal lengths for the eyepiece.

There are a number of people who use two camera lenses connected together to
get extreme macro images. Looks like the best link I had is no longer
working. This isn't as helpful but it works:
<http://www.microscopy-uk.org.uk/mag/indexmag.html?http://www.microscopy-uk.
org.uk/mag/artsep01/vrcoolpix2.html>

For macro work the lens is further from the image plane than the focal
length.

To get a long cheap lens consider getting either the v*vitar macro focusing
2x teleconverter or the Olympus 2x teleconverter. The design of a
teleconverter is different from the design of a normal photographic lens.

-jeff