[OM] Re: Right word, wrong word (Was English Language...)

Subject: [OM] Re: Right word, wrong word (Was English Language...)
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:42:04 -0700
Walt Wayman wrote:

>This distinction may seem like a little thing, but it's the kind of molehill a
>good lawyer can make a mountain out of.
>
>Let's be careful out there, y'all.

Yes, it's a good idea.

There was a case a few decades ago over the meaning of a single comma
and its placement that went to the Arizona Supreme Court. The company I
worked for had an option to purchase agreement to buy land and a very
tricky attorney who had recently tightened the standard form up. They
held control of an old lady's land for well over a year in apparent
violation, according to the lady and her attorney, of the agreement.

The Supreme Court eventually ruled in our favor on the legal point, but
made it clear they didn't like it and weren't setting a precedent. We
changed the comma, feeling we were unlikely to prevail again on that
point. (Besides, it was not only unfair, but contrary to the overall
intent of the agreement.)

Moose