[OM] OT: Any thoughts on Samsung/Schneider-Kreuznach

Subject: [OM] OT: Any thoughts on Samsung/Schneider-Kreuznach
From: Matthew Born <mborn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 08:32:27 -0400
Samsung is probably making pretty good cameras these days. The Schneider
lenses they "inherited" from Rollei (I guess that's how they ended up with
them, anyway...) are by and large quite good, and their p&s digicams have
been pretty well regarded. I have two Samsung-era Rollei film p&s cameras
that are quite decent. I got an itty bitty, cheap 4MP digital model for my
wife last Christmas. It has a fixed lens, about a 38 eq., and a few manual
controls. It makes outstanding snapshots with virtually no user effort at
all. I was quite astonished by it, frankly. However: it has terrible battery
leak -- 2400 Powerex cells, fully charged in a conditioning Maha charger
(and working fine in other cameras) will go stone dead in 24 hours even with
the camera off. But here's the really worrisome thing: Samsung's customer
"service" department insists that this is normal. My wife actually said "are
you making cameras that require the user to remove the batteries after each
and every use, and then reinsert them before making the next picture?" And
Marvin of Samsung said "Yes. That's how they all work." Had I been on the
phone with him I'd have asked why it didn't exhibit that behavior initially.
Ah well. Just my two cents on the subject of Samsung. (We sent the d*mn
thing in anyway, along with a rather lengthy note.)

Cheers,
Matthew Born