[OM] Re: [Hello to the list] + request for info on a tamron

Subject: [OM] Re: [Hello to the list] + request for info on a tamron
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:31:52 -0700
Manuel Viet wrote:

>Hello,
>
>This is my first post to this list,

Welcome!

>so I hope I won't misbehave

Why not? So many others do......

>So, I bought, used, a decade ago a zoom labeled  :
>TAMRON-F 35-100 1:3.5-4.3 MACRO 63°-24° ø55
>
>Macro ratio is 1:4, F/stop range from 3.5 (dot at 4.3) to 22.
>
>The zoom is quite good, but I can't find it reviewed anywhere, not even with
>the help of Mr. Piers Hemy page
>[http://www.hemy.me.uk/Miscellany/TamronMFLenses.htm]

That page only lists Adaptall type lenses. The F series had fixed
mounts, hence the "F" designation. I believe they overlapped the
Adaptall versions for a while, but died earlier.

>Not that I cared that much, until recently, but I stumbled on this one :
>http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/olympusom1n2/shared/zuiko/htmls/35105mm.htm
>
>Mine looks *exactly* the same, except for the DoF button (laking on the
>tamron's mount), and painting colors ; dimensions are the same, mm for mm.
>The mount is neither a T nor and adptall one, it's a plain OM without DoF
>tester.

When you say exactly the same, does that include a ring with release
button to go into close-up mode? You can see the ring, with the chrome
button near the bottom in the first photo on the link you posted.

>Does anybody knows this zoom, and where I can find infos on it. Is it a
>blatant counterfeit by Tamron?

Tokina also sold a lens of the same size and specs, right down to the
close-up ring. There has been speculation in the past about whether it
is the same as the Zuiko. Close side-by side inspection reveals that it
is different in important internal ways such that it is obviously not
from the same manufacturer. I'd be happy to sell the Tokina, if you want
to do a comparison to the Tamron. I really only bought it to put
curiosity to rest. It does have a unique hood design that is a rather
clever.

>Can the Tamron be compared to the zuiko?

Of course it can be compared. What the result of the comparison would
be, I don't know. I'd never heard of it before, let alone seen and tests
or comparisons. The Tokina seems to be pretty similar in performance to
the Zuiko, but not as pretty on a black OM. :-)

Moose