[OM] Re: Good K64, butchered XP2

Subject: [OM] Re: Good K64, butchered XP2
From: "Andreas Pirner" <AndreasPirner@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2005 09:55:49 +0200
Moose wrote:

> Earl Dunbar wrote:
> >I ordered develop only and high res scan... "16-base" scans,
> whatever that means.

> That should mean that the full dynamic range of the scanner, probably 14
> bit per color per pixel, is delivered to you. Because of the way
> computers work in bytes, if you don't go to some trouble, it is
> delivered in two byte chunks, 16 bits, per color per pixel.

Sorry, Moose. You are wrong with this.

16-base is ONLY reffering to resolution, that
is pixel size of the scans. A quick googling
revealed
<http://www.plumdigital.com/2_datasheets/pcdinfo.html>
giving some overview to 16-base, 64-base and
other bases. Kodak defined those when starting
their PhotoCD thing.

Base was (at that time!) the 'common, regular' size
of 512 x 768 pixels. Then there are smaller ones
(thumbnails, galleries) called "4/base" (256 x 384)
and "16/base" (stunning 128 x 192 pixels). The higher
resolutions are "4 base" (or "base 4") at 1024 x 1536
pixels and "16 base" (or "base 16") at 3072 x 2048.

And, yes, there is a 'professional' base 64 with a
whopping resolution of 6144 x 4096 pixels, available
with the "Pro 35" PhotoCD.

As I understand, Kodak offers higher resolution scans
from 35mm than from 120 film. "Pro 120" is listed as
base 64 and mere 4096 x 3072 pixels.

> This is where you should know you've not gotten what was represented.
> The JPEG format only accomodates 8 bits per color per pixel. Thus, you
> did not get the "16-base" scans. They would have come in another,
> non-lossy format, probably TIFF, maybe BMP.

Accordingly, this is not fully correct either.
If the resolution is 3072 x 2048 pixels, it is
16-base.

[snip off a lot of good stuff]

Andreas