[OM] Re: OT-Chicago

Subject: [OM] Re: OT-Chicago
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 04:32:09 -0500
Cc: Jim.Timpe@xxxxxxxxx
AG Schnozz wrote:

> Jim Timpe wrote:
>
>>I'll be in that town all next week.  Open to and looking for
>>suggestions (not equipment) on things I absolutely can't miss
>>seeing.  I've never been.
>
> Downtown Chicago is unlike most any other city.  Just the entire
> downtown is an attraction into itself.  Bring your camera and
> take pictures of buildings and the lakeshore.  Sunsets and
> sunrises rock.

Chicago's architecture is a good notch above that found in most big
cities. I took a class (in Schaumburg, actually) about a month ago
and wished I had had the time to take an architecture tour. I can't
vouch for these folks, but this is what I had in mind:
http://www.artexcursions.com/chicagotours.htm

[snip]

> As far as restaurants are concerned, Chicago is beyond...  There
> is no excuse for eating at Perkins or Burger King.

100% correct. The only national chain at which I ate during the week
I was there was a Bahama Breeze. It was okay (think "Olive Garden
for the tropics"), but I'm sure a little digging around would result
in a _much_ better (and less-expensive) Caribbean restaurant in town.

I will particularly recommend the Italian Beef at Portillo's (don't
let the long lines scare you; it's one of the best-run restaurant
chains I have ever seen). And you probably cannot say you have been
to Chicago unless you've had a "Chicago dog" (unless, of course, you
don't eat meat).

Enjoy your stay!

Steve