[OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 what's the first settings you changed
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 16:40:04 -0700
Peter Leyssens wrote:

>Barry B. Bean wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:08:25 -0500, Joel Wilcox wrote:
>>

>>>Definitely shoot RAW.  The accompanying jpg is very optional
>>>IMO.
>>>

>>I agree. I was shooting both untl I realized that I spent far more time
>>deleting the extra copies of shots than I did converting the occasional q&d
>>shot to jpg for e-mail/web/etc.
>>

>That's all very well said and done, but I'm planning to go on a long
>holiday (somewhere between 30-50 days).  Given that RAW+JPEG equals 70
>shots per gigabyte, I won't get too far without relying on extra
>gadgetry to back up my work.  So I'm wondering if I could manage with
>SHQ/HQ JPEGs and no backups.  What do you think ?

If you have a low opinion of your photography or a very high opinion of
your ability to get perfect exposures every time, sure, why not. Holiday
shots are often in difficult lighting and non-recreatable and RAW
greatly increases the likelihood of getting the result you want. So when
shooting the wonderful scenery, architecture, sunsets, etc., I stick to
RAW. And if you want to view and edit while on the road, you need either
a laptop with a RAW converter or one of those storage and viewer
thingies and RAW+JPEG. For those shots in the bar, restaurant, bus, etc.
JPEG is the way to go.

Maybe just break down and buy a couple of 2gb cards?

Think of the expense this way.  How much would you expect to pay for
film, processing and prints in the past on such a trip? Even if you take
more pics with a DC, you will probably print less.

One of the hidden costs of the E-1 is the rather large file sizes,
10.4mb RAW and 13.5mb RAW+JPEG. The 300D is 6.6mb RAW for a 20% larger
image, all according to dpreview. In practice, I get about 145 RAW +
1536x1024 JPEG image combos per gigabyte.

I managed to fill 2gbs of images in 3 days on a recent trip with lots of
time allowed for photography. I could have stretched it out with more
culling, but that's a drag on the camera screen.

My next digital camera accessory is a toss up between a lens and a new
laptop than can handle the larger images and has a large HD and a DVD
burner. My poor little old one that was fine for 2mp images just chokes
on the ones from the DLSR.

However, my decades old garage door and hardware that I've been nursing
along forever just died for good. So the camera goodies may have to wait
a bit. :-(

Moose

Moose